Friday, September 28, 2012

The Story Behind the Scraps

Anyone who know my mum, Ruthie Knowlton, knows she is a terrific seamstress. I used to tease her that she had sewn enough stitches to sew all the way around the world.

Her repertoire ranges
from Costumes to Confirmation dresses
from Pajamas to Pinafores
from Quilts to Couch covers
from Barbie clothes to Bridal gowns 
from Maternity to Matronly 
Not to mention my entire wardrobe from birth to about 13 years old (when I was starting to get too cool). 
She can do it all! 
(except bathing suits, but that is a story for another day)

But for all those thousands of projects she complete, a few fell by the way side. Or there were sizable leftover that couldn't just be thrown away.

After 30ish years of left overs or the occasional unmade project, this is what your sewing room might look like:
*I'm the the one that pulled it out of the closet and piled it up*
Impressed?
I sure was. But then after I boxed it all up again, I found more . . .
tweed anyone?
Some lace, corduroy, and fantastic wool

But then I kicked something under her bed on accident. What was it? More fabric?
Yup.
Anyone who has sewn enough that these are mostly left overs has more than a story:
She has a saga
She has an allegory

Here at The Cotton Chronicles, I am following in her footsteps. Taking one piece of fabric at a time I am going to tell you tales behind it and sew it into something new.

Join me! Everything I make will be posted for sale on Etsy. You can be apart of The Cotton Chronicles too!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing what else you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing Natalie's sewing talent on all of that amazing fabric that was shown in the pictures. Happy sewing!

      Delete